Monday, November 22nd
- OFAC designated four individuals under its global counter-terrorism program due to their links with ISIS-Khorasan. Concurrently, OFAC cleaned up the SDN list by deleting and modifying several entries on the list. (Here, Dept. Treasury's press release, Dept. of State's press release)
Tuesday, November 23rd - OFAC added one entity and one vessel to the SDN list pursuant to the authority granted in Protecting Europe’s Energy Security Act of 2019 (PEESA). (Here) The additions came after the U.S. Department of State's report to the Congress a day earlier. In that report, another vessel called Blue Ship is also identified but not sanctioned. Even though the Department of State did not comment on why Blue Ship was not sanctioned, there were reports that it was not added because it was owned by a German entity. (See the Dept. of State Press Briefing for more.)
Wednesday, November 24th
- OFAC amended section 542.516 of the Syrian Sanctions Regulations which authorizes NGOs to engage in certain activities in Syria. (The old version, the new Changes). OFAC published two FAQs (937 and 938) to explain the new changes. (Dept. of the Treasury press release)
- OFAC issued General License 8I in Venezuela sanctions program which extended the validity of the previously existing authorization in GL 8H through June 1, 2022.
- Security Council ISIL (Da’esh) and Al-Qaida Sanctions Committee added one entry to its Sanctions List. (Here)
- The Department of Commerce Bureau of Industry and Security added several entities to its Entity List and Military End User List. (Here)
Thursday, November 25th
- There was no major development on this day.
Friday, November 26th
-There was no major development on this day.
Recommendations of the week
- Read the story about how the complexity of sanctions could affect individuals in sanctioned jurisdictions. ConsenSys, the Ethereum software powerhouse, removed about 50 Iranian students from its online programming course. (Here)
- Check out this note from AUSTRC, the Australian FIU, about de-banking and its negative effects. (Here)
To get your weekly alerts please click here.